BRIEF OF PROGRAMME
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), otherwise known as the Global Goals, are a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity. These 17 Goals build on the successes of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), while including new areas such as climate change, economic inequality, innovation, sustainable consumption, peace and justice, among other priorities. The goals are interconnected – often the key to success on one will involve tackling issues more commonly associated with another. The SDG Choupal, a continual joint initiative of Nagrik Foundation, The Cradle and Worth & Trust, is an endeavour to educate and aware every stakeholder of the SDG Agenda whether they are Government functionaries, Corporate world or Civil societies. The programme envisages to bring together the policy makers and community people to work in tandem for achieving the targets and making the goals a reality.
The Sustainable Development Goals will only be achieved if everyone, Policy Makers to Community, acts in tandem. The overall aim of the SDGChoupal is to mobilize, inspire and connect stakeholders to strengthen SDG action. Throughout the next ten years of campaigning, evidence-based advocacy, and coalition building will be critical to keep the momentum on commitment to the SDGs and on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Therefore, with overall aim to gather and inspire SDGs campaigners and multi-stakeholder partners to scale up and broaden the action for the SDGs in India, the SDGChoupal commits to:
• Recognize, celebrate and raise the visibility of the most effective SDG change-makers
• Engage stakeholders and individuals to support government and UN Country Teams in the SDGs implementation through direct people’s engagement.
• Encourage public ownership of the SDGs in every field of life through creative and innovative communications, campaigning and policy advocacy.
• Sponsor people-driven processes to strengthen accountability mechanism and monitor SDG progress through generation/collection of data, evidence, and sentiment about the impact of the SDGs.
• Strengthen current SDG partnerships, explore new alliances and leverage the presence of SDG actors to discuss strategies and joined initiatives around key milestones.
• Inspire new partners from new sectors to join the global movement to take action for the SDGs.